Cut human food, wet food & treats... DRY KIBBLE ONLY
Step 2: Two meals to completion
Offer your puppy it's normal meal portion of DRY KIBBLE ONLY. If consumption doesn't start in 5 seconds or if your puppy walks away it goes up until the next meal. Once your puppy eats 2 consecutive meals in a row without hesitation go to STEP 3.
Step 3: 5 PIECES OF KIBBLE FOR 5 REPS, 6TH REP ON THE FRONT PORCH
* Put 5 pieces of kibble in your puppy's bowl
* Move backwards so your puppy follows youIf you taught sit, have your puppy sitIf you taught stay, have your puppy do a short stay
* Put the bowl with 5 pieces of kibble on the ground
* As your puppy is eating get 5 more pieces of kibble ready
* As soon as your puppy is done eating lift it's bowl up put the 5 pieces you have loaded in it and REPEAT THIS FOR A TOTAL OF 5 QUICK REPS
* For the 6th rep put your puppy's leash on and OFFER the rest of the meal on the front porch (NOT THE BACKYARD). If it chooses not to eat that is okay.
* Repeat this process until your 1st training session where we will give you training drills to do.
FAILURE TO BRING YOUR PUPPY THROUGH THESE STEPS PROPERLY WILL RESULT IN NO HANDS-ON TRAINING AT SESSION 1.
This is a tried and true vetting process. Despite what you might assume, if you do not stick to these exact instructions above we run a very high risk of your puppy not being motivated enough to engage with you and our trainer at a level adequate to ensure a successful introduction to our food based training drills.